Welcome to Tools of History (ToH), the collaborative digitization program of South Central Regional Library Council (SCRLC). Tools of History provides access to digital collections of historical manuscripts, photographs, maps, drawings, books, and artifacts that have been contributed by libraries, archives, historical societies, museums and cultural organizations comprising the membership of SCRLC.
Located in Ithaca, NY, South Central Regional Library Council is one of nine multi-type library consortia (NY 3RS Association) in New York State that encourage collaboration and resource sharing. SCRLC reaches over 500 libraries in its service area located in the counties of Allegany, Broome, Cayuga, Chemung, Chenango, Cortland, Delaware, Otsego, Schuyler, Seneca, Steuben, Tioga, Tompkins, and Yates.
Tools of History Mission Statement:
• To provide end-users with universal access to the unique collections that reflect our regional cultural heritage.
Tools of History Goals:
• Identify and include unique collections that reflect the historical significance of the South Central region of NYS.
• Train contributors to develop the skills to select and contribute to Tools of History.
• Provide standards that create consistency in descriptions and allow for searching across collections.
• Promote Tools of History as a valuable resource for students, educators and the general public.
• Identify organizational partners in the South Central region of New York State.
The Tools of History program was developed with funds from:
• South Central Regional Library Council operating budget
• New York State Regional Bibliographic Databases Program
• Senator George Winner, 53rd Senate District
• Friends of the Tompkins County Public Library
• Assemblywoman Barbara Lifton,125th Assembly District
Tools of History is also supported in part by federal Library Services and Technology Act funds, awarded to the New York State Library by the Federal Institute of Museum and Library Services